Friday, February 13, 2009

RevGalBlogPals Friday 5 - our companions


+RevGalBlogPals Friday Five:
Sophia invites us to remember five 'the beloved animal companions who bless our lives:'

Orbit. My first cat. We had many, many cats in our family, but this was the first I was able to select and name. This was at the time John Glenn went into orbit for the first time. And so the name. My father tried to tell me that 'black as orbit' didn't make sense - he was an engineer after all - but I remember he gave up laughing at me. Orbit was shiny black with white socks and bib. I believe we placed him in another home after my father's death, when we had to move away from New York.

Roxie, our beloved family Irish Setter. She was what would now be called a rescue dog, adopted by us as an adult through our vet. She already had gray on her muzzle when I remember her. She was an extraordinarily gentle dog. Somewhere there was a photo with my little sister, at 2 1/2 STANDING on Roxie, looking out the window. She died of old age.

Sancho Panza, a cat. My mother named this one, I think. Sancho was cream-colored, long-haired and independent. One winter we had to shave him because he got so matted. He never forgave us, and eventually moved in with my cousin when she was living next door. Yes, she said, he started showing up and asking to be let inside, and over a month or too it became clear he had chosen to live with her. Probably the fact we had a new pair of kittens didn't help.

Cesear, the boneless wonder. Another cat, this time my sister's. Long, lean and golden tabby, he would go boneless when she picked him up, and would ride on her shoulder. She had to leave him behind when she went to college, but he began a long line of cats that my sister has cared for.

Chipper, our current companion, seen above. He has a split personality - summer and winter. In summer he's a feisty hunter with a taste for baby bunny and staying out all night. In winter he's a lazy affectionate lap cat. He has extraordinary eyes - two colors of green, beautiful soft fluffy fur, and elegant posture. He could be a show cat, except he is radically shy - most of my friends have never seen him. The ears are uneven now, since he had surgery - but they give him character. He is never happier than when someone is home all day - put an afghan on your lap and he knows it's an invitation for his comfort. Also know as His Majesty, Bringer of Wrath to Rabbits and Chipperdoodle.

1 comment:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Great stories -- thanks for sharing.