Sunday, December 21, 2008

Viva la buick!

+
Started the day really early at 5:00, and was pleased to see the moon, which meant the snow had moved on. It also meant that the bitter cold and high winds had come. Last night I arranged to take the SUV (yes, we do own a smallish one!) and pick up our part-time pastor and take him to work with me.

The first clue it wasn't going to be a walk in the park was that our road wasn't plowed at all. Now our street is an alternate route for the fire truck and it's usually clear. Main city roads were okay. On some of the city roads to my co-worker's house no one had driven on them at 6:30 a.m

Head down on the county road - and the very point that the city plowing stopped there was just snowy ruts - 8 inches of snow and one car ahead of us pushing along. Forward motion seemed our best bet. 10 miles of quite interesting driving followed. At one point there were only one set of ruts and we weren't sure which side of the road we were on. At another point the blowing snow had covered up the ruts.

I felt like I was delivering the serum to Nome. I mentioned that in the announcements at church - all the children had blank looks on their faces - they had never heard of Balto. "The Cruelest Miles" is a good book on the story.

Settling down later in the day. I was shamed into finishing my Christmas cards. Slept for 3 hours. I think I've done most of my Friday Five list - writing sermons and finding if shut-ins are home is on the list for Monday.

Peace to all.
+

No comments: