Tuesday, November 4, 2008

at work, but . . .

+
One of my stressors is the length of some of my days. I am often here in Working Town 10-12 hours. Today it will be from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. at least. No going home at all, it's too far to drive back and forth and wastes too much time and gas.

One of the things I've realized is that I have to take down time. It's tempting to keep plowing through - keep reading that book there, writing that report, preparing that class, prepping that sermon.

But really, in any other job, I would get a lunch and dinner break, and coffee breaks.

So I will push back the guilt that says doing crosswords in the office (as I was caught doing last Thursday at 5:30) is something inappropriate.

Hurrah for computer games!

P.S. I voted. had to balance head and heart. It was hard. Two weeks ago I wasn't going to vote in the presidential election at all. Our congressman will get re-elected, so the presidential election is the only real race on the ballot. So I cam to a decision, and I'm not sure about it.
+

1 comment:

KristaBeth said...

I struggle with long days too.... As clergy, we are supposed to model healthy behavior, but how can we when we are expected to work day and night? I say, enjoy those computer games! Since my dog comes with me to the office, he helps me remember to get up and stretch every once in a while. Maybe I can sit in my office for 10 hours, but he certainly can't!