Friday, March 13, 2009

Mid-Lent Check in


+

Our Crosses

Our crosses are many
We may not know
The salty taste of tears until they come without bidding
And sign a growing shadow
Cross-shaped, on our hearts

Our crosses are solitary
I will not speak
Not of my guilt, or of my shame, or of my pain
But know this is my cross – all mine
No one shares

Our crosses are ancient
My mother’s and my father’s burden
Taken up with all the panic of country, pride and riches
And clung to because it is my legacy
Even as I long for freedom

Our crosses are random
Attack comes here, now
We ask why here, why now, why us
And the truth is always the cross we bear
For the answer is empty of comfort

Our crosses are His cross
Only one, all for us, ever new and reborn
His the first, His the birth, His the pain
His the grief, His the burden
His the life in the cross
His the end of all our crosses.
(NAK, Lent 2009)

Sophia on RevGal writes:
The pastor of my grad school parish once gave a fascinating reflection, at about this mid-point in the season, called "How to Survive the Mid-Lent Crisis"! As I recall, his main point was that by halfway through the season we have often found it very challenging to live up to our original plans....But, he suggested--on the analogy of the healing and reframing of our life plans that can happen during a mid-*life* crisis--that that can be even more fruitful. So here's an invitation to check in on the state of your spirit midway through "this joyful season where we prepare to celebrate the paschal mystery with mind and heart renewed" (Roman Missal). Hopefully there's a good deal of grace, and not too much crisis, in your mid-Lenten experience!

1. Did you give up, or take on, anything special for Lent this year?
I have not taken up anything different, or given anything up in renunciation this year. But I have given up some negative attitudes and habits - I have resolved not to worry about my weight, while eating healthly. I have resolved to drink less alcohol, while not berating myself for an occasional glass of wine. I have detached from some concerns at work, knowing that others have things in hand. I have tried to honor my days off and my nights off. I am feeling more at peace this season.

2. Have you been able to stay with your original plans, or has life gotten in the way?
Things have slowed down in terms of the 'have to do think NOW' items, and that is a relief. Because my expectations were low, I am finding all sorts of things pleasant surprises - sunny days, my hours with the cat, a slow morning.

3. Has God had any surprising blessings for you during this Lent? A big surprise and an ironic one. I discovered a name for what afflicts my son - although he hasn't been diagnosed - and may never be, due to the nature of the problem - all at once his difficult behavior makes sense. We are re-affirmed in our limit-setting and current treatment of him. It's been an eye-opener and a relief to discover an on-line support group for parents with similar stories.

4. What is on your inner and/or outer agenda for the remainder of Lent and Holy Week?
Stay calm and focused. Draw nearer into the biblical story. Love the people. Offer creative and thoughtful worship. Spend time at home.

5. Where do you most long to see resurrection, in your life and/or in the world, this Easter? I long for my son to speak to us, for his insight. I long for our churches to feel the Spirit. I long for our staff to recognize and embrace their ministry and their boundaries as mutual calls. (To know yes - this is my vocation, and no - this isn't something I have to do!) For the world, my thoughts are like so many others - ending to the stupid wars all over the world, freedom and justice for the oppressed, food for the hungry.

p.s. the picture was taken by a parishioner and friend and we're using it as the key image for our Lenten series on Our Crosses, His Victory. The poem is mine.

+

3 comments:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

What a blessing to find such inner peace--and especially to know what is going on with your son. I resonate with that struggle so much....prayers for continued healing and insight.

altar ego said...

Ditto Sophia's comments. I struggle to attain what you have managed in #1. I'm grateful for your inspiration!

The photograph is beautiful, and the poem moving. Thank you for sharing both.

Muthah+ said...

love the poem!