Saturday, March 7, 2009

carry the cross

+
I'm ashamed to say this text and it's fellows in the other cycles is one of my least favorites. It is so hard for me to communicate anew.

This week I won't post the sermon - it's adapted from an older one, and I'm not sure where I found the older one.

I start with the name question - God gives a name. Jesus has called us 'cross-bearers' Christians.

So how do we do that? That is the theme of the sermon.
I adapted the story of Clarence Jordan's Koinonia Farm. I wanted a story about sacrifice that was not about martyrdom. I find martyrdom stories very moving myself, but I don't know how many people really identify themselves that way.

I have been working many hours just doing the things I do - liturgy, putting together our Lenten worship, following up on my pastoral calls and hospital visits, going to too many meetings. I haven't been doing a lot of thinking. I watch. I observe. I comment.

And that may be why I don't have a good grasp on what 'cross-bearing' means in this time and place - it is still to be revealed to me.
+

No comments: