Friday, January 2, 2009

Friday Five

+
From RevGalsBlog
As we look back we may come to understand how God has worked in and through us in joy and sadness. how we have grown against what may seem impossible odds. As we look forward we may do so with expectation, and we may do so with fear and trembling. As we look back and forward in New Years liminality I offer you this simple yet I hope profound Friday Fivein two parts:

First list five things that you remember/ treasure from 2008

Then list five things that you are looking forward to in 2009

2008 Five to remember
1. A good vacation to Kentucky. After so many years (6, 7, 10?) of being too stretched financially, or too pushed calendar-wise, or having commitments to the DS that meant finances or calendar were otherwise occupied, each vacation (one a year for 3 years now) is treasured. I want to be with this guy for the rest of my life - it's good to practice that.

2. For one-half day, having a picture perfect house. The hassle of getting ready for realtors and open houses was that everything was in place. Of course, not for long. But it was nice to look like magazine. Very serene. I satisfied my need for order, and I realized that need is a secondary one.

3. Knitting fun things. I learned color work, and finished the andean hat, and got into a more accomplished mode. The concentration was mediative. I also became brave enough to take my knitting to work.

4. The Jason Gray concert at church. After all the fuss, and the not knowing what was going on - it was such a Spirit-blessed event. I really enjoyed it. You can meet Jason here. His music is worth listening to. (Click on jukebox and hear the Beatitudes in a new way.)

5. Finding a place for retreats and spiritual direction. Thanks to the farm! My frustration is that I can't get there more often.

Which leads to the next 5: looking forward to in 2009.

1. Taking control of the schedule and marking out that 24 hours each month to be on retreat. To see the change of the seasons from the bottom of the silo. To be pushed to remember my own participation in holiness.

2. Reconnecting - with all sorts of people. One thing I realized last summer was that I had chosen to disconnect. Getting back together requires asking for forgiveness, which is hard. So far, being on FB has been easy. It's a step.

3. Working in harness. Sharing the ministry is a great blessing. I'm so God-thankful that I do not do it alone.

4. Downsizing our personal space. This depends upon so much outside our control - the market, the budget, buyers, but to be in new surroundings always gives me a boost.

5. The cycle of the church. The church year - learning in Epiphany, confessing in Lent (look for Lenten alternative worship this year), celebrating in Easter, resting in summer, learning in fall, stewardship, Advent, Christmas. The life cycle - baptizing, teaching, VBS, confirmation, marriage, birth, illness, death, celebration of the resurrection. Those are the two cycles of my work, they come to me and I play my priestly or pastoral or prophetic or listening part. May this be my prayer - God, show your love through me.

What surprises me is how little these lists reflects my ministry. There were moments - preaching moments, particular services, some counseling - that were satisfying, but they were not at the top. And my hopes for 2009 are about balance, seeking for that balance that had eluded me.

That's my New Years reflection.
+

2 comments:

RevAnne said...

What a great and reflective play. Blessings and prayers for a wonderful year.

Rev Honey said...

I'll pray that your commitment to monthly retreat is fulfilled. God bless you in your journey+