Saturday, September 27, 2008

bad preacher

Stolen preaching idea and stories. Use my own connectors. Definitely will preach from pulpit this week, even though that's a problem with the uber-contemporary service. Will preach from the music stand, so to speak, or perhaps by that time I'll feel okay about winging it.

I find the Matthew text, about the challenge about Jesus authority, and the story of the two disobedient brothers, disturbing and very, very relevant. Disturbing because it is very, very relevant. How does one speak truth and hold up a mirror without sounding like a scolding mother?

We - my people and myself as well - should see ourselves in these stories and squirm. Who has authority in my life, our lives? How often do we say 'Yes' and not follow through?

The image of pilgrimage did not pan out for sermonizing - but it is part of the struggle for me. Am I a pilgrimage through life, or only a tourist? Is my comfort the key?

I had thought to challenge people - write down the favorite 5 hours to TV you expect to catch this coming week. (House, Project Runway, the packer game). Okay - now, watch only those 5 hours. Find something else to do with the rest of your time. Take walks, go back to that hobby, read a book, make love.

Only problem, I'm not sure I could do it.

No comments: