Sunday, February 14, 2010

back again

+
I haven't blogged for a while - things have been fine, but busy. I am now a student in the Masters in Counseling program through Lakeland college. I admit I snuck in under the wire, without much thought about it, but one day in December I found myself thinking, I can do that.

Lakeland is located about 60 miles away, but operates a satellite campus right between work and home. There's nothing on tv anymore and I can only amuse myself with computer games and knitting so much. That's not the whole story, of course. And one would think I wasn't busy enough.

When the eagle and I took the Family-to-family course through NAMI last fall, we committed to freeing up our Thursday nights. The course was good, but even better was the fact I had said 'this is for me' and nothing (except wedding rehearsals) kept me from that class - I told the various councils and committees I just wasn't available.

(although I got teased today about being absent last Thursday - and for the one teasing - I think there was some bite).

And not being available didn 't hurt anyone and didn't hurt me, so I'm taking a Thursday night class and a Saturday morning class, and hoping I can keep up with the schoolwork when Lent starts. I'm taking 6 credits now, and want to take 2 credits on line after Easter. I'll take 6 credits in the summer, but skip fall since we're going to Germany.

I don't even know if I can finish this program, because they tend to have the same classes on the same night, and I don't get Wednesdays too free. Eventually I'll have to do a 20-hour/week practicum. Sabbatical anyone?

I believe it will help me work on my skills, my perceptions, challenge me and most importantly for me right now - give me an arena for thought outside of the congregation. (I'll never be outside the church!)
+

No comments: